Thursday, March 19, 2009

Treasures....... and that word "Grandma"

As most of you know, Stephanie & Vanessa are both expecting their first child in the coming months! Alright, I will admit it... it feels strange and sounds even more foreign, to be considered a 'grandma' and a mom, at the same time in my life. You know what I mean, it's the stereotype that bothers me. When I think of Grandma...I think of others much older than me! But, I won't lie either...I'm awfully proud to be having my first grand-babies while I'm still so young.

I kinda feel... official. Like, a real mother. (laugh) Please... actually it is something that makes a mother a bit nervous. What will I say to my daughters, when they have questions about being a mother? Will I know what the right thing to say is? Do they know enough to be good mothers? I have to stop questioning and just learn to trust that I have taught them everything that I know. If it isn't enough, then we will learn together. They are both so much wiser than I was at their age. I am so blessed.

I went down in the basement yesterday to look for Stephanie & Vanessa's baby books. I remember that when I was pregnant with them, I asked MY mom for MY baby book.....funny how I never really cared about MY baby book until I was going to have a baby. While I was down there, I found beautiful treasures....crocheted baby clothes that John's mother Claire had made with her own two hands. She passed away when the twins were only 4 years old. I had forgotten that I had kept them safe for my future grand-babies.....her future great grand-babies. I wanted to share them with you - and hope to post new pics in the future with the babies wearing them....I can't wait!

8 comments:

C and C Beecher said...

your blog is so dang CUTE! mine is definately due for a new look. something to work on next week during spring break :)
it's fun to watch you morph into a grandma...and weird (i'll be honest).

Teryn said...

oh.. how cute! Your girls are so lucky that you saved those adorable outfits! Handmade little outfits are all the rage these days :) And how special that the babies great-grandma made them. :)

Briana Carr said...

nanna-cheriiiiii!!!!! :D

get used to that
being screamed.

Bob said...

You'll be a fun grandma, Cheri! Your grandkids we'll love coming to G & G Carr's home for visits.

Ben N Nessa said...

I hope I am as cute of a Mom as you are! :) Love those sweaters and can't wait to see you in 2 days!

Crystal said...

Aw, how fun! You will LOVE being a Grandma! My Mom wouldn't trade it for the world! The cutest thing is seeing my DAD as a Grandpa! They just turn into softies! :) I love the little heirlooms! So precious!

Meghan Tschida said...

Cheri, I loved your mother-in-law. She was a great neighbor. I still have the doll that I received when she passed away. You are going to be a great grandma, just as you were a mom!

Steph said...

awww...those are so cute! I can't wait to have my baby wear them! :) Thanks for finding treasures, mom! I love you. And, if I don't know how to be a mom, I'll call you and you'll know exactly the right thing to say....I know this because you always know how to help me be a better person...and in this case, a better mom!